October Rookies of the Month
Todd Gurley and Eric Kendricks earning respect of the NFL
Running back TODD GURLEY of the St. Louis Rams and linebacker ERIC KENDRICKS of the Minnesota Vikings are the NFL Offensive and Defensive Rookies of the Month for October, the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: RB TODD GURLEY, ST. LOUIS RAMS
- Gurley, the 10th overall selection in the 2015 NFL Draft out of Georgia, led the NFL averaging 144.3 rushing yards per game during the month. He rushed for 433 yards and two touchdowns in three games.
- He started all three games in October – his first three career starts – and rushed for at least 125 yards in each contest. He is the first rookie in 10 years to rush for at least 125 yards in each of his first three starts (CADILLAC WILLIAMS in 2005).
- Gurley is also the third player in NFL history to rush for at least 125 yards in three of his first four games to begin a career (BILLY SIMS in 1980 and Williams in 2005).
- He rushed for 146 yards at Arizona in Week 4, 159 yards at Green Bay in Week 5 and 128 yards with two touchdowns against Cleveland in Week 7 (St. Louis had a bye in Week 6).
- With his performances in Weeks 4 (at Arizona) and 5 (at Green Bay), Gurley became only the fourth rookie in NFL history to rush for at least 140 yards in consecutive games with both of them on the road, joining JOHN BROCKINGTON (1971), Pro Football Hall of Famer CURTIS MARTIN (1995) and MIKE ANDERSON (2000).
- Gurley had a 45+ yard run in all three games in October, including two runs of at least 50 yards. He leads the NFL with three 45+ yard rushes this season.
- He had 14 rushes of at least 10 yards during the month, the second-most in the NFL.
- Gurley is the third Rams player to be named Rookie of the Month, joining quarterback SAM BRADFORD (October and November, 2010) andEDDIE KENNISON (October 1996).
- He is the first Rams running back to be named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month.
- Gurley is the first running back to win NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month since Green Bay’s EDDIE LACY (October 2013).
DEFENSE: LB ERIC KENDRICKS, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
- Kendricks, a second-round selection (No. 45 overall) out of UCLA, had 20 tackles, four sacks and one pass defensed in October.
- He started all three games during the month – his first three career starts – and had at least one sack in all three contests.
- Kendricks’ four sacks led NFL rookies in October and are tied for the most by a rookie this season. His four sacks were also tied for the most by a linebacker during the month.
- He had five tackles for a loss in October, including at least one in every game.
- Kendricks had four tackles and a sack in Week 4 at Denver, his first career start. In Week 6, he had a career-high 10 tackles, a sack and one pass defensed against Kansas City. He finished the month with six tackles and a career-best two sacks in Week 7 at Detroit.
- He joins KEVIN WILLIAMS (December 2003) and DWAYNE RUDD (December 1997) as the only Vikings to be named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month.
- Kendricks is the seventh player in team history to be named Rookie of the Month, joining Rudd, RANDY MOSS (Offense, November 1998), Williams, ADRIAN PETERSON (Offense, September and October 2007), PERCY HARVIN (Offense, November 2009) and CORDARRELLE PATTERSON (Offense, December 2013).
2015 NFL ROOKIES OF THE MONTH
|||Offense (College)||Defense (College)|
|September||QB Marcus Mariota, Tennessee (Oregon)||CB Ronald Darby, Buffalo (Florida State)|
|October||RB Todd Gurley, St. Louis (Georgia)||LB Eric Kendricks, Minnesota (UCLA)|