Mock Draft 3.0
Post Free Agency Edition
- Cleveland Browns: Sam Darnold QB USC
I have been all for the Browns taking Saquon here but the addition of Carlos Hyde and the Jets trading into the top three forces Cleveland to go QB.
- New York Giants: Quenton Nelson OG Notre Dame
Same pick here as my last mock. Saquon Barkley would make some sense as well.
- New York Jets (via Colts): Josh Rosen QB UCLA
The Colts got a great haul for this pick and it will do them well to fill out their roster but the Jets aren’t mad getting my QB1.
- Cleveland Browns (via Texans): Denzel Ward CB Ohio St.
My number one corner comes off the board at 4 to Cleveland. Safety could be the pick also.
- Denver Broncos: Minkah Fitzpatrick DB Alabama
In an ideal world the Broncos get Josh Rosen but the Jets trade makes that impossible. So Elway goes best player available.
- Indianapolis Colts (via Jets): Bradley Chubb DE NC State
The Colts come out looking like bandits. They move back and get their player all along and gain draft capital as well.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Saquon Barkley RB Penn St.
With Doug Martin’s departure and a slide in the draft, Saquon to Tampa is a match made in heaven.
- Chicago Bears: Tremaine Edmunds LB Virginia Tech
Edmunds is a versatile linebacker and pass rusher, Immediate starter in that Chicago defense.
- San Francisco 49ers: Jaire Alexander CB Louisville
Even with the addition of Richard Sherman the 49ers still need to add a corner. Jaire Alexander can play outside and at nickel. Great fit.
- Oakland Raiders: Roquan Smith LB Georgia
The best middle linebacker in this draft. Very instinctual, Gruden will love this kid.
- Miami Dolphins: Vita Vea DL Washington
QB could be in play here but I wouldn’t be ready to give up on Ryan Tannehill so soon. Ndamukong Suh’s departure makes way for Vita Vea.
- Buffalo Bills (via Bengals): Josh Allen QB Wyoming
A trade up to secure a QB is more likely but in this scenario, they get the big armed Wyoming talent whose arm will carry in Buffalo weather. McCarron is the bridge to the Josh Allen future.
- Washington: Derwin James S Florida St.
The value here makes too much sense. Derwin James has an all pro ceiling, great plug and play value for Washington.
- Green Bay Packers: Marcus Davenport DE UTSA
I almost went Courtland Sutton or Calvin Ridley here but the WR depth goes into the second round more than the pass rushers. They get a raw edge rusher with huge upside.
- Arizona Cardinals: Calvin Ridley WR Alabama
A QB could be in play here but I envision the Cardinals getting a Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph in the second round. They get Sam Bradford another weapon and an understudy for Fitz.
- Baltimore Ravens: Courtland Sutton WR SMU
I could see a tackle here but this offense needs a true number one receiver so my WR1 makes a ton of sense.
- Los Angeles Chargers: Connor Williams OT Texas
An upgrade at tackle is a huge need. LA should take whichever one they like the most.
- Seattle Seahawks: Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame
Corner could be the play but I would start to rebuild that offensive line which has never really been a strength in Seattle.
- Dallas Cowboys: Da’Ron Payne DT Alabama
Not much to say here other than the value and need meet. Christian Kirk would make some sense here but Payne should be higher on the board.
- Detroit Lions: Maurice Hurst DT Michigan
The Michigan kid goes to Detroit and Matt Patricia starts to build his style of defense with the Lions.
- Cincinnati Bengals (via Bills): Will Hernandez OG UTEP
Cordy Glenn helps at tackle but Hernandez can complete that line. Not sexy but it is smart.
- Buffalo Bills (via Chiefs): Christian Kirk WR Texas A&M
They already got their QB earlier, so they give him a weapon in Christian Kirk. Someone who can get vertical and can grow with Josh Allen.
- Los Angeles Rams: Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St.
I love this pick for LA. The departure of Ogletree opens a void at linebacker and Vander Esch has such a high upside. Love the fit.
- Carolina Panthers: Isiah Wynn OG Georgia
Interior O line is a need in Carolina. The value is there. No brainer.
- Tennessee Titans: Harold Landy OLB Boston College
Perfect fit and value here for Tennessee who are putting together the final pieces of what looks to be an emerging defense.
- Atlanta Falcons: Sam Hubbard DE Ohio St.
Atlanta could go a couple different directions with this pick. The smart play is find a need with a player that would meet the value of the 26th pick and to me Sam Hubbard makes the most sense in this scenario.
- New Orleans Saints: Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma
I think this happens more than likely with the Saints moving up ten spots or so but in this scenario Drew Brees’ successor falls to them at 27. Baker is also my QB2.
- Pittsburgh Steelers: Rashaan Evans LB Alabama
Pittsburgh needs a linebacker and the need and value are a perfect fit here.
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Kolton Miller OT UCLA
Bortles is their guy, I like it, now protect him.
- Minnesota Vikings: Mike Hughes CB UCF
I have been trying to find a corner needy team but lucky for Minnesota in this scenario they land a guy who could play for them immediately.
- New England Patriots: Lamar Jackson QB Louisville
I don’t know what New England will do but I think they will draft a QB at some point in the draft so why wait? Plus I like the New England drama so again, why not?
- Philadelphia Eagles: DJ Chark WR LSU
I think Philly will go wideout and there are a lot of options and differing of opinions. Chark flashed rare traits at the combine. So for now, I have him here.